Like Digital Nomad Visas in other European countries, the Hungary digital nomad visa allows digital nomads to work remotely in Hungary for any foreign employer registered outside Hungary for one year for a fee of €73-€123, depending on where you apply.
You have to earn at least €2,000 per month to be able to apply.
The Hungary White Card
The DNV, or Hungary White Card, is a new sort of residency card that permits you to work and live legally in Hungary.
This means you can work remotely when traveling to Budapest, working at cafes near Buda, impact centers, or sitting beside the Danube river.
Only third-country nationals who meet the qualifying requirements will be issued the visa. The Hungary D Visa, also known as the Type D Visa for Hungary, is the same as the Hungary Digital Nomad Visa.
Requirements for the Digital Nomad Visa in Hungary
To be eligible for a Hungary digital nomad visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You are not a citizen of an EU or EEA member state.
- You work for a company based outside of Hungary.
- You will use telecoms technologies to complete your work.
- You are a partner or shareholder in a foreign-registered corporation.
- You have a legal job contract outside of Hungary; or
- You possess stock in a company outside of Hungary; or
- You own your own business outside of Hungary.
- You do not own any shares in any Hungarian firm.
- You do not engage in any profitable operations in Hungary.
- You earn at least €2,000 every month.
Required Documents for the Hungary Digital Nomad Visa
To apply for a Hungary digital nomad visa, you must prepare the following documents.
- A valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months following the expiration of your visa.
- An completed digital nomad visa application form.
- Two passport-sized pictures that adhere to Schengen rules.
- Evidence that you will work remotely. You must demonstrate that you will work as a digital nomad remotely for a company registered outside of Hungary.
- Evidence of sufficient financial resources. You must meet the minimum income criteria by demonstrating that you earn at least €2,000 per month.
- Evidence of health insurance. You must have health insurance that is valid for the duration of your stay in Hungary and covers your medical expenses.
- Evidence of lodging. You must demonstrate that you have a place to stay in Hungary while working. A rental agreement or a booking can be shown.
- Pay the service fee.
How Do I Get a Hungary Digital Nomad Visa?
To apply for a digital nomad visa in Hungary, you have to follow the processes outlined below:
- Fill out an application for a digital nomad visa at a Hungarian embassy or consulate. You must schedule an appointment with the embassy/consulate in your native country and bring the necessary documentation with you.
- Enter Hungary and fill out the White Card application. After receiving your digital nomad visa, you can travel to Hungary and apply for a White Card at the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing within one month.
Please keep in mind that the digital nomad visa (given by the Hungarian embassy/consulate) allows you to travel to Hungary with the intention of living as a digital nomad. The White Card is the long-term residence permit that allows you to reside in Hungary.
1. You must have a visa to enter Hungary. You must apply for the White Card within a month after receiving your entry visa.
2. Gather the necessary documentation. Make sure you have all of the necessary documentation so that your application is not denied by the Hungarian government due to small errors.
3. Complete the application form. Fill out the application form for the Hungary digital nomad visa correctly.
4. Make an appointment with the closest embassy.
5. Attend the embassy interview.
6. After the interview, submit your biometric details. You must submit a digital image as well as your fingerprints.
7. Wait for a reply.
8. You will be awarded a residency permit in Hungary when you arrive at the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing.
The Advantages of the Hungary Digital Nomad Visa
The following are the advantages of obtaining a Hungary digital nomad visa:
• No taxes. If you plan to stay for less than 183 days, you do not have to pay taxes. When you live in Hungary as a digital nomad for at least 183 days, you are deemed a tax resident (half a year). As a result, after the 183rd day of your stay, you will be obligated to pay taxes. You will also be obliged to pay personal income tax and social contributions.
• Low living expenses. In comparison to other European countries, Hungary has lower rent, transit, food, internet, and many other necessities. Pricing may vary depending on the city you choose to live in; for example, Budapest, Hungary’s capital, has slightly higher prices.
• Reliable internet connection. Hungary has fast internet, which is essential for you as a digital nomad. Hungary boasts among of the world’s fastest internet connections. Hungary ranks 12th in the world for broadband internet and 39th for mobile internet.
• The climate. Hungary has a humid continental climate, with hot, wet summers and cold, snowy winters.
• Great locations. Hungary has several attractive spots to visit, including the Esztergom Basilica, the country’s largest church, the Gyor Cathedral, Hortobagy National Park, Lake Balaton, and the Szalajka Valley.
• Travel within the Schengen zone. You can travel freely in the European Union Schengen zone with the Hungary digital nomad visa.
• A secure country. Hungary is one of the safest countries in the world and in Central Europe due to its low crime rate.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following fees apply to the Hungary digital nomad visa.
- The White Card application fee in your native country is around €110.
- The application fee for a White Card in Hungary is around €123.
- The application price for the White Card via the NDGAP's online portal is €76.
- The visa extension fee at NDGAP is €110.
- The cost of extending your visa using the NDGAP's online portal is €73.
The Hungary digital nomad visa typically takes one month to process. Once granted, the Hungary digital nomad visa will be mailed to you.
The digital nomad visa in Hungary is valid for one year. However, if you are still able to apply, you can extend it for another year.
The Hungarian digital nomad visa, unlike other digital nomad visas, does not enable you to bring family members with you to Hungary.
Whether or not you must pay taxes is determined by whether the nation in which your employer is registered has a tax treaty with Hungary. A tax treaty is an agreement between two countries that determines which country should tax investment income in order to prevent the same income from being taxed twice.
The Hungary digital nomad visa is valid for one year and can be extended for another year.
From the time you submit your full application, the Hungary digital nomad visa takes thirty days to process.