The Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Program was launched in 2012 under a government mandate.
The Barbuda citizenship program is appealing to applicants seeking alternate citizenship by purchasing valuable properties or contributing to the National Development Fund of the islands. As a TLDR, these are the main takeaways for this investment program:
- Global citizens who invest at least $100,000 can obtain a passport. Contributions to a state or university fund, real estate purchase, or company investments are the four alternatives.
- Family members can apply for citizenship with the investor. The main applicant’s spouse, children, parents, and siblings are all eligible to participate in the program.
- The property purchased to participate in the citizenship program can be sold for a profit five years later. During ownership, the investor might also generate rental revenue.
- Families of six or more can take advantage of a particular investment opportunity in Antigua and Barbuda. They have the ability to contribute more than $150,000 to the University of the West Indies Fund. As a result, a large family spends less than it would under any other Caribbean CBI program. One family member may enroll in university and study for a year at no cost.
Antigua and Barbuda is a Commonwealth country in the Eastern Caribbean. The lush tropical islands of Antigua and Barbuda are an appealing paradise with 365 beaches of clear blue ocean and are regarded as one of the most beautiful places in the world.
As a result, tourism is the primary driver of GDP and accounts for over 60% of the island’s income, with important target markets being the United States, Canada, and Europe.
Antigua and Barbuda is a member of various international organizations, including the United Nations, the British Commonwealth, Caricom, and the Organization of American States (OAS). Holders of an Antigua and Barbuda passport have visa free travel to around 150 countries, including the United Kingdom and the Schengen area.
CBI Program overview and investment options
The Antiguan passport program provides lifetime citizenship to international clients who invest in the country under the donation USD 100,000 (beginning October 2020) and Real Estate categories (USD 200,000). The processing period is relatively short, only 3-4 months.
The passport, which was first given with a 5-year validity period, can be simply renewed later for a modest charge ($350).
An Antigua and Barbuda passport grants visa free access or visa-on-arrival entry to 151 countries, including Hong Kong, Singapore, the United Kingdom. One important benefit of the Barbuda passport is that it allows visa free travel to Europe’s Schengen Area.
Applicants may include a spouse, dependent children under the age of 31 (together with their spouse and children), parents and grandparents aged 55 and above, and unmarried siblings of the primary applicant and/or their spouse of any age, as well as dependents added after citizenship is granted.
Antigua and Barbuda is a Commonwealth member, which entitles citizens to certain benefits in the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth member countries.
With great flight connections to North America and Europe, the country is an appealing area to reside or own a second property.
Citizenship by Investment Requirements
To qualify for Antigua and Barbuda citizenship, the principal applicant must be over the age of 18, complete the application requirements, and choose one of the four possible investment options in the investment program:
- The acquisition of real estate worth at least USD 200,000 from an approved real estate project. To qualify, two candidates can make a combined investment, with each applicant investing a minimum of USD 200,000. The property cannot be sold within the five-year timeframe.
- Individual direct purchase of an eligible firm for a minimum business investment of USD 1.5 million. Alternatively, it can also be a joint investment in which each person contributes at least USD 400,000, for a total of at least USD 5 million.
- A minimum non-refundable contribution of USD 100,000 to the Antigua National Development Fund.
- A minimum non-refundable gift of USD 150,000 to the University of the West Indies
Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Procedures and Timeline
The Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU), the government agency in charge of program administration, is in charge of processing all applications. The CIU thoroughly evaluates the application and, if required, may request that the principal applicant attend an interview.
The CIU conducts rigorous due diligence procedures and will reject an application if the applicant makes a false statement or fails to provide any important information in the application.
The Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Program’s documentary requirements are modest, and the procedures are simple.
Passports can be collected in Antigua and Barbuda once the application is approved. It is expected that the process will take between three and four months from the time the application is submitted to the time the passport is issued, assuming there are no issues with the application.
During the first five years after getting citizenship, you must spend at least five days in Antigua and Barbuda. However, because to the many travel limitations caused by the COVID-19 epidemic, the CIU has temporarily suspended this requirement.
This suspension will end on August 31, 2022. The time frame for the real estate option may vary based on the project. As a result, it is critical to choose a real estate project that can give the developer with the necessary papers for the citizenship application.
Investments Options That Qualify for Citizenship
The following investment options are available under the Citizenship program:
For families of six or more, a National Development Fund contribution of USD 100,000 payment to the is effective November 1, 2017 (or a USD 150,000 donation to the University of the West Indies Fund is effective May 2020).
USD 200,000 in real estate investment (or) USD 1,500,000 in a business investment (this can be a joint investment).
Dependents incur additional charges, and there are due diligence fees, government fees and processing fees that an applicant has to take into account.
The passport has a 5-year validity period after which it can be renewed. To renew after 5 years, you must have spent at least 5 days in Antigua.
- Exotic vacations in a beautiful Caribbean country with white sand and blue waters.
- The Caribbean’s most affordable family-oriented citizenship program.
- With a one-time investment, you can provide your family and children with lifetime citizenship.
- Citizenship in a Caribbean country.
- Visa free access to EU Schengen countries, including visa free travel to the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- There is no wealth, inheritance, or personal income tax.
- No personal visit is necessary for the principal applicant, future spouse or dependents.
- There is no requirement to reside in Antigua before or after citizenship approval.
- There will be no interviews, business experience, or language examinations.
- Antigua citizenship processing takes only three months.
- The best travel second passport.
- CARICOM countries in the Caribbean have free mobility.
- Hold dual or multiple citizenships freely with other countries.
- Antigua citizenship can also be obtained through investments in company ($1,500,000) or real estate ($400,000).
What has changed in 2022?
Oaths can now be taken at Antigua consulates around the world, without the need to visit Antigua.
CIU Antigua has declared no government discounts in their investment unit.
For family members, future dependent children and future spouse can be added to the citizenship list. Dependent children under the age of six will be charged a price of $10,000, while children from six to seventeen will be charged a fee of $20,000.
Amendments to the CIP
The Cabinet has authorized new measures beginning in April 2020.
Iraqi nationals can now apply for passports with no restrictions. The restrictions for other restricted countries have been relaxed.
The NDF processing fee has increased slightly to $30,000 for families.
Real estate becomes more affordable when the government charge for real estate/business is cut by $20,000 (currently $30,000 rather than $50,000).
Iraqi nationals who have been removed from the blacklist can now apply for Antigua CIP.
LTO (Limited Time Offer): Adding children is now allowed at any time for a fee of $10,000 (under 6 years) and $20,000 (beyond 6 years) (above 6 years). This promotion is valid until October 31, 2020.
The University of the West Indies (UWI) fund is presently accepting applications for USD 150,000. (inclusive of processing fee). This fund is only available to households with six or more members. For large families, the UWI fund is now less expensive than the NDF fund.
Citizenship by investment is available to stateless people from four countries: Brunei, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates.
Is a licensed agent need to apply for Antigua and Barbuda CBI?
The law of Antigua and Barbuda prevents investors from applying for citizenship through investment on their own. A licensed program agent must apply on behalf of the investor. The licensed agent is a consulting firm that aids applicants at every stage of the process of obtaining citizenship through investment.